[email protected] LoogyPicker@gmail.com is offline

Default Hydrilla and my 11 yr old daughter

On Apr 15, 10:47*pm, wrote:
Y'all are just gonna have to put up with me being proud of my 11 yr
old daughter.
This past year we did a lot of canoeing on various clear rivers here
in N. FL and a few dark Tannin stained ones. *Most of the clear rivers
are infested with the invasive non-native hydrilla and she hated
paddling through it. *She notices that the dark tannin stained rivers
are mostly clear of it. *One day she asked, "Dad, does the tannin stop
the hydrilla from growing". *Her older (20 yr old) biology major
sister told her "It is probably that the Hydrilla cannot get enough
sunlight in the Tannin stained water". *So, we looked it up and found
that Hydrilla grows well in most dark water. * * * *Hmm, Science Fair
Project. *So, I went to the Wacissa River and got some Hydrilla. *We
ordered some Tannic Acid and filled 7 gallon jugs with river water.
One had dark food coloring in it, one had nothing but river water and
the rest had varying amounts of Tannic Acid. *WE put Hydrilla in
each.I truly expected nothing to happen. *Two days later, DRAMATIC
differences. *The higher concentrations of Tannic Acid had the
hydrilla looking bleached and brown. *The one with food coloring
looked good, just like the control with just water.. *After 5 days,
the hydrilla in the higher concentrations had sunk to the bottom and
looked bad.
So, she may be on to something. *However, now that she has done her
experiment and written it up, I suddenly find that possession of
hydrilla is illegal. *We are going to report anyway and hope for the
best. *We did kill all the hydrilla afterwards.

Good for her!!!
Be careful around here, though. If JimH gets upset with you in any
way, like you catch him in a lie, he'll say nasty untrue things about
your children. He's said that if you mention them here, they are fair
game, just a warning.