Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] is offline

Default The answer ISN"T an electric or a bigger windlass

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:24:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 15, 4:08 am, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On my next boat I'm going to about 50 - 100 ft. of chain and a nylon
rode. Actually the rope is stronger then the chain and you don't have
to rig a snubber every night.

You're in coral country aren't you? Coral sand erodes nylon and coral
cuts it. My take on this is that in light winds when the chain is
lying on the bottom you want the nylon well above the level of any
bommies that might be around and still want enough scope out to be
safe. I've been using 35m (~114') of 10mm (~3/8) chain and wouldn't
go with much less. Indeed, I just replaced that with 150' of
nominally 5/16 (actually 9mm) G43. Rigging a snubber is pretty easy
work.

-- Tom.

Most places I anchor will be about 30 ft. (not taking the tide into
consideration) with chain I normally use a scope of three. With nylon
I'll probably start with five and see how that works. The first 50 -
100 ft will be chain which is laying on the bottom.

Surprising I seldom find an anchorage with coral, usually it is clay
mud with perhaps some shells.

I think that the chain/rope rode will handle things but if not I still
have the 200 ft. of chain in storage :-).

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)