Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] is offline

Default Anti fouling paint

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:01:13 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

Greetings Bruce,
I use Jotan and merely add between 5 to 10% TBT - usually 5%. I was
told not to use more than 10 percent as it will affect the drying and
adhesion of the antifouling. It works well for me. Of course some of
the problems people may have experienced may have been applying the
wrong anitfouling ove and existing layer. I know when I started using
Jotan in Malaysia instead of ABC-3, I had to sand back hard and apply
a Jotan primer coat. - But you and they would have thought of that
aspect.

cheers
Peter

I've been leaning that way. Met a fella today who's mate painted boats
for some years and he makes about the same recommendation you do.

I'm beginning to think that the people that had problems were using
too much TBT as much as 10% by volume, or more.

the more research I do the lower down the scale the TBT addition seems
to be. Right now I'm getting recommendations between 3 - 5 % and not
more.

I must have the remnants of 15 years of anti fouling on the bottom so
this time I';m going to scrape it all off, prime and a tie coat and a
couple of coats of bottom paint. Probably be 5 knots faster :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)