Herodotus Herodotus is offline

Default Anti fouling paint

Greetings Bruce,
I use Jotan and merely add between 5 to 10% TBT - usually 5%. I was
told not to use more than 10 percent as it will affect the drying and
adhesion of the antifouling. It works well for me. Of course some of
the problems people may have experienced may have been applying the
wrong anitfouling ove and existing layer. I know when I started using
Jotan in Malaysia instead of ABC-3, I had to sand back hard and apply
a Jotan primer coat. - But you and they would have thought of that
aspect.

cheers
Peter

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:07:11 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

I am planning on going in the yard later this month primarily to paint
the top sides (later I will author a long, forlorn, story about how
not to paint a boat) but for now am wondering what anti fouling paint
to use. The boat has, probably 15 years of anti fouling accumulation
on the bottom so this year we are going to scrape it all off and start
new.

I have been using Jotun commercial (for barges) bottom paint for years
(the kind with TBT in it) and have been getting about 5 years out of
it. But now that TBT based paints are no longer available I am
debating what to use.

At the moment there seem to be three choices (1) Jotun self polishing
paint in various grades depending on boat speed; (2) Chugoku self
polishing, again in different grades and (3) a copper and epoxy mix
that used to be called "CopperBot" but I now believe has a different
name, that is supposed to last ten years or more.

Now, to cut to the chase. Does anybody have actual experience with
current anti fouling paints in tropical waters?

P.S. do not suggest adding TBT to an existing anti fouling paint as a
number of friends have tried that route with extremely variable
results ranging from the paint never hardening to the paint not
sticking. One or two have had good results but the variation from boat
to boat does not seem to fit any pattern. One guy says he mixes ten
percent TBT and it works; another claimed to use 3 percent and the
paint didn't harden.....

Anyone with actual experience that can give me some good advise?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)