Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] is offline

Default The answer ISN"T an electric or a bigger windlass

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:07:45 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

That is an excellent point. I think the real distinction is between
"cruising" and "living aboard". Being a northerner who has spent his life
in the cycle of the seasons and planning cruises north where the seasons are
even shorter, a shore base is a given for me. Being in love with a woman
who likes gardens and neighbors more, and cruising in *slightly* less than I
do is also a factor.

I expect to spend some long periods essentially living aboard but my needs
are simple as long as I can keep moving and see new things. If I planned to
abandon all physical presence ashore, I expect I would decide I need a
larger boat.

I don;t like the term "live aboard" as it has the connotation of being
tied to the dock. Rather, imagine setting off on a, say five or six
year circumnavigation and what you would want to bring along on the
trip....You'll need the torque wrench in case you overhaul the engine.
A small welder is handy for fixing broken chain plates, of course you
will need your carpenter's tool chest and the mechanic's tool box and
a few gallons of epoxy. Those left over bronze plumbing fittings will
come in handy and probably better have enough tubing to replace the
gas line to the stove in case it breaks. A spare shroud might be
handy.

Oh, yes, a white shirt, necktie and long trousers and a pair of shoes,
in case you get invited to a wedding.

40 feet is marginal for two.....

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)