Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Manual windlass

wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:31:46 -0400, Rosalie B.

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:23:13 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I used to see manual windlasses but not anymore. Can you still get
one of the type with a lever you push back and forth or where you use
a winch handle?

You can get a manual windlass, but the cost is pretty close to an electric that
has a manual override.

We got ours second hand from Bacons. IIRC it was about $80.00. It
was missing the handle, but Bob was able to make one pretty easily -
that also meant that he could make it the right length to be
comfortable for him.

That is an incredible bargain. I looked at a Lofrans manual and it was
about $750 new. If I could find a used manual windlass for $100, I'd
snap it up.

Well I'm really BAD with numbers, and it WAS 10 years ago. It was a
bargain though. It was second hand after all. I think we have a
second one for parts that he got somewhere.