Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:21:53 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

You underestimate the size and cost of a useful size solar panel by a
large factor.

Maybe a small one would do, and how much do they cost? I should have
found out before I posted. Large factor may be too strong. It depends
on some unknowns.

I was going to disagree with your post, but luckily re-read it.

IF electric could serve his purposes, a little 12w panel would normally
recharge 100 or so amps between weekends. That happens to be our setup
and it's worked like a charm for a few years. (Our 12w panel cost a bit
more than $10, though.):

Maybe. I never put it to the test, I just do a few calculations.

Since you need 125 AH to charge the battery that much, and there are
only 168 hours in a week, it would seem those are some strong healthy
watts. 12 regular watts give you just one amp, and what about not
always facing the sun squarely? Days _are_ longer during the summer,
when most of the boating takes place, of course. Whatever, it might be
enough, if the power required is small. We are both guessing about
that all important figure In any case, that would require maybe an 8D
battery, at 150 lbs, If you don't run it down below half.

I figure a solar panel should be big enough to run a small ventilation
fan, pump out any rainwater or leakage, and run an anchor light as
well as just keep a battery charged.. However big that is. What do
solar cells cost these days? I understand lead batteries have the
lowest self discharge rate of any type rechargable battery, by the
way.

It is true that a battery will last longer if kept fully charged,
maybe saving enough to cover the solar cells. [Dream on, nothing on a
boat is cheap, let alone free]

Casady.