Backyard Renegade

Default Hard vs Soft Chine stability

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:QQkpb.133837$sp2.21083@lakeread04...
What would happen to initial stability if you took a double chined
stitch & glue dinghy design and rounded it off so that it could be built
with cedar strips?

Well, in racing car terms, it could get a little "looser". It would
probably gain some stability and reach "through" the bouyancy graph
smoother. Rounding it off would give you more displacement and could
offset any tracking and steering that may have been figured into the
harder chines. I think if you want a round hull boat, find and or
design, or have designed, one for you.
Nothing worse than a tool that does not work... 'specially if you put
a lot of time into it.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com... and we can let the jokes go for
now, thank you very much!