posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Class B AIS Units

Paul,
I'll look. Here are 4 receiver units that I have found already. The Si-Tex
Black Box, the Smart Radio SR161 (single channel) and SR162 (dual channel),
Euro Nav AI3000. These are receivers only either 1 or 2 channel. Some of
these are less than $200. Class B transponders like Digital Yacht
SMARTERTrack AIT250 are 419 Pounds Sterling. Class B is totally voluntary.
For most yachts, a receiver is enough. If a transponder is required, why
screw around with a Class B? There are plenty of used "A"s around at very
friendly prices. Please keep in mind that "A"s are mandatory under "Safety
At Of Life At Sea" SOLAS rules for vessels over 300 tons or those vessels
that carry 11 or more passengers, but are NOT illegal for anyone else
either. I bought a SIMRAD 7000 Class A, last years model new for $1400 less
antennae.
Steve

"ZeilDude" wrote in message
Are you sure that's the price of a class B transponder? $450 is a regular
price for a class A.
If you could find/remember the name of the company that would be great

Paul.