William R. Watt

Default Hard vs Soft Chine stability

I doubt it will make any difference until the boat reaches some speed
where the round surface will have less hull turbulance and be faster than
the chined version and that's probably not a consideration in a yacht tender.

I did a model of such a conversion, chosing a constant radius of
curvature for each chine I was rounding off. There's a small photo of the
"before" and "after" sections at www.ncf.ca/~ag384/T12.htm or it can be got
to via my home page under "boats".

Glenn Ashmore ) writes:
What got me thinking was an article in GOB about building a Gerr nesting
dink in cedar strip. It gave a basic dink a really classy look. The
builder took the basic proportions of the Gerr and changed it to a sort
of radius chined design. He also gave the bottom a bit of deadrise. I
really like the rowing characteristics of my Gerr dinghy but it is a
little tippy for loading and unloading off a transom. I was wondering
if these changes would make it worse.

Jim Conlin wrote:
Not much, but why not start with a round-bottom boat from the outset? What
kind of boat are you contemplating?

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

What would happen to initial stability if you took a double chined
stitch & glue dinghy design and rounded it off so that it could be built
with cedar strips?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com