Glenn Ashmore

Default Hard vs Soft Chine stability

What got me thinking was an article in GOB about building a Gerr nesting
dink in cedar strip. It gave a basic dink a really classy look. The
builder took the basic proportions of the Gerr and changed it to a sort
of radius chined design. He also gave the bottom a bit of deadrise. I
really like the rowing characteristics of my Gerr dinghy but it is a
little tippy for loading and unloading off a transom. I was wondering
if these changes would make it worse.

Jim Conlin wrote:
Not much, but why not start with a round-bottom boat from the outset? What
kind of boat are you contemplating?

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

What would happen to initial stability if you took a double chined
stitch & glue dinghy design and rounded it off so that it could be built
with cedar strips?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com