William R. Watt

Default sail horsepower?

I scaned diagrams of a possible sprit sail and put them on my website. So
far I just use the wetted surface and displacment to determine the sail
area. I still have more calculations to do for it. There's a sail cutting
diagram too. To use as much of the sail material and to keep the centre of
effort low I did not follow the recommended proportions in John Leather's
"Spritsails and Lugsails". I drew a sail more like older less efficient
sprit sails. BTW if you chose the length of the foot and leach then you
can use Leather's proportions to find the head and luff independent of the
mast length, although he relates them all to mast length. Maybe I'll
describe that in the design text later.

the diagrams are at www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Solo15.htm. I won't link it to my
home page until its finished which could be quite a while yet. Its still
very rough. I'm spending as much time trying to figure out how to use the
computer as I am trying to work out the design of the boat.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm