cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Yanmar Injector question

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:16:25 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

BTW, replace the copper washers on any fuel banjo fittings you break open.

This is a point I've wondered about. Before becoming the owner of a boat
diesel, I'd always heard that copper washers are never reused. The Banjo
fittings are part of the fuel bleed points on me engine so have been cracked
open many times and I put all the old washers back. Everything seemed tight
against fuel pump pressure of approximately 7 psi.

This is all upstream of the injection pump however. Downstream, I expect it
to be a different story with the much higher pressures. More info from and
details of annealing appreciated.

SNIP

I really hate the Japanese Banjo fittings and on my present boat have
re tapped all the holes and converted to AN fittings.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Soft copper deforms easily to seal minor gaps.
That part is pretty well known.

But copper work hardens very quickly.
Once hardened, it can crack and break easily.

I believe copper is annealed the same temps as aluminum.
Soot the surface with a really rich acetylene flame,
then heat with a neutral flame until clean.

Personally, I use a propane torch to anneal with because a neutral
o-a flame is just too hot and can melt small parts before you can
stop.

I'm guessing it's simpler, cheaper and safer to just replace the
little boogers when they get to the point of no return.

AND

Bruce, thanks for the banjo tip.
I'll for sure keep that one in mind.

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne