posted to rec.boats.electronics
WillemdeNie WillemdeNie is offline

Default Raymarine and third party equipment via NMEA gives problem

On 10 apr, 07:09, "WBH" wrote:
"WillemdeNie" wrote in message

| I try to connect AIS and my SIMRAD Dataline-X equipment (Depth,
| Waterspeed and Wind) to my raymarine C80 via the NMEA port.
|
| I have a multiple baud rate NMEA multiplexer (shipmodul-type minplex-
| AIS)
|
| The signals which are multiplexed a
| AIS 38400 coming from my AIS receiver
| and
| SIMRAD Dataline-X data coming from the databox with a baudrate of
| 4800.
|
| These signals are multiplexed on my multple baudrate multiplexer of
| which the output has a baudrate of 38400.
| The plotter is also configured for 38400 offcourse.
| The have a file as an example of the output of the multiplexer at
| 38400!
|
| This output is presented to the plotter.
| On the plotter I get:
| AIS signals which are fine
| Water temperature coming from the SIMRAD equipment (so wiring is OK)
| But no depth, logspeed and wind information although they are present
| at the output side of the multiplxer (see attached file)
|
| I hope somebody has an answer why this problem occurs!
|
| Regards
|
| Willem

Check which NMEA 0183 version is used by the Simrad Dataline equipment. If
e.g. the NMEA sentence for depth is the older DBS, it may well be that the
C80 does not recognize it, because the C-series expect NMEA 0183 Version
3.01. The depth sentence for version 3.01 is DPT. Similar incompatibility
may exist for Wind data sentences (old VWR/VWT sentences).
If you had used a Brookhouse multiplexer, you could have converted the older
sentence types to version 3.01 in the multiplexer.
Another possible cause may be that the Simrad equipment does not add a
checksum to the sentences. Again, this can be added by a Brookhouse
multiplexer.
You cannot attach files to NG postings, but you can send your NMEA data file
to my email address and I'll have a look.

Wout

Thanks!
I am going to play around today and try to find a solution. I have
sent you the file per mail.
Willem