posted to rec.boats.electronics
377 377 is offline

Default Marine Electronics Degree - where and how

On Apr 8, 11:39*am, andy t wrote:
Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician. I have grade 12 and have worked on some electronics on my
dads boat. But I want to get a formal education somewhere and become
licenced to work on boats of all types. I am prepared to go to school
for 2-4 years - *so if you have graduated somewhere or know of a good
school, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks and have a nice day.

Go to a public community college and get as much electronics training
as you can... or go into the Coast Guard and get trained. I have a
friend who did the Coastie route and he really got some excellent
training, better in many respects than my EE training at a top
university (too much mathematical modeling and too little pragmatic
circuit training). He maintained high powered Loran transmitters, but
was well trained on many other types of gear. Good theory training too
in the USCG schools. Don't spend big bucks for those private trade
schools. Get your FCC General RadioTelephone Operators License with
Radar Endorsement, and GMDSS Maintainer Endorsement as AK Bruce
suggests, but you can pass these tests by just studying books that
have the test questions in them and memorizing the answers. That
doesnt mean you know anything, but you will have the ticket and can
get an entry level job where you can learn from pros. IF you are good
at math and have the time and energy and can get admitted, go to a
public 4 year college or university and get a BS in electrical
engineering. Techs are waaaay underpaid compared to degreed engineers.
If you cannot get in as a freshman, try going to community college for
2 years, get your AA and then apply for admission as a junior. I know
many techs who are way better than degreed engineers, but they make
less than half what the engineer is paid. Unfair? Irrational? Yes, but
it is reality.