Mark

Default Career change to boat building in the UK

(Sean C) wrote in message . com...
I have looked at previous postings in this newsgroup and although I
can find references to people looking to make similar changes, I can
find no postings from people that have actually done it, for good or
bad.

My question is this; I am in my mid 30's, in the UK, and looking to
have a change of career from engineering to boat building. I am
considering taking a year out to do a course, probably in traditional
boatbuilding and conservation. Is there anybody out there that has
made a similar change and if so what are your views on it now. What
salary could I expect to earn, what are the job prospects, what is job
security like etc.

Also if there is anybody in the industry reading this, what would your
views be on taking on an enthusiatic, educated and capable person but
one in their mid 30's and straight out of college.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sean,

Firstly, the very best of luck to you. I have often wished that I
could financially afford to make such a change of career, but up to
now I can't

Having been to Lyme Regis a few times, I can often be found looking
longingly into the Boat Building Academy
(
http://www.boatbuildingacademy.com) down by the harbour where they
teach both traditional and modern methods. Their craft are beautiful
and I would love to take one of their courses - although not being mid
30's, I have a few spare years yet

Take a look at the FAQ which covers employment prospects and average
age of students.

Hope this helps,
Mark