John H.[_3_] John H.[_3_] is offline

Default solo launch/recovery

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:02:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 4, 2:58*pm, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:49:59 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"

wrote:
I'm trying to think of the best way to coordinate solo launch/recovery
at a busy dock. We have a very busy lake here. There are 4 ramps with
2 docks. The docks are only big enough for the active ramps (you
couldn't leave the boat at the dock without disrupting launches. My
wife can just barely drive the SUV so she certainly cannot drive the
car with the trailer and certainly cannot drive the boat. On a busy
day there is a waiting area where cars wait in line for the busy
ramps.

To launch I figure I could tie up to the dock, park the car and run
back to the dock. I could probably do this in the time it takes the
next guy to back his trailer down the long ramp (very, very long, the
water is low).

However, I'm not sure how to best recover. Usually people come to the
dock, drop off the car driver and then go back out to the water
waiting for their turn. The trailer driver them goes and gets into
line for a ramp. How can I do this w/o taking up dock space necessary
for operations? I was thinking of perhaps just anchoring off shore and
swimming to the dock and then swimming back out to the boat once I get
the trailer.

As you can tell I'm very sensitive to not disrupting people. I'm
trying not to be the annoying guy that everyone loves to hate.

-robert

Why not teach your wife to operate the boat? All she would have to do is
drop you off at the dock, back out a bit and wait, and then come back to
the dock, gently. I'd teach her how to do one or the other, drive the boat
or the car with trailer.

Aren't there any singles who go out of that ramp? What do they do?- Hide quoted text -

Maybe his wife doesn't want to learn to drive the boat!

Well, if the wife can't or won't drive anything, then he needs to see what
the single operators do at the ramp. I'll bet they don't anchor the boat
and swim back and forth!