Paul Cassel Paul Cassel is offline

Default Clothing for cold weather sailing

L D'Bonnie wrote:
I sail on a large Northern lake. There are many days when all I need
is shorts and a T shirt. There are also days when that sort of dress
would be a bit inappropriate. My boat is a 21 foot weekender.

When faced with sailing from New England at the start of winter, I had
to buy some decent clothes. The 'real' suits I saw cost roughly $1,800.
I think that fair price but I needed a one trip outfit. I don't ever
want to try that stunt again.

So instead I visited stores which cater to commercial fishermen - those
guys in the north Atlantic on trawlers year round.

I saved a lot of money and got decent if not really spiffy looking
clothes. The salesman also understood what I needed more than I did.
Worth a trip if you have commercial fishermen nearby.

-paul