Parallax

Default Fiberglass on Wood damage

Jere Lull wrote in message ...
timeoff wrote:

Ok..so I bought a 1942 80' Wheeler that started as wood

That's a lot of old boat for a newbie.....

My problem- The seller failed to alert me that he had run aground back in
June and that one of the shaft struts pushed through the bottom
of the boat causing the boat to take on water above one engine. The repair
was a temporary patch.

I am new to this age and size of boating. My goal was to create a nice
adventure....not a nightmare for my family.

Get a survey! By someone that knows that type of construction in that
size; it's unusual as I think you have guessed.

Combine this with your insurance survey: I have found all the surveyors
I and my dockmates trust on the BOAT/US preference list, most of the
ones we had heard weren't as good were NOT on their list. You have to
get the insurance survey anyway.

Hey! What happened to the pre-purchase survey?

You should at least have had an insurance survey that could catch a
problem like that. (Oh, maybe that's how you found out!) A proper one
should also give a good indication of the cost to repair to the
insurance company's standards.

6 months qualifies as temporary, particularly as it probably didn't get
stressed much while it was for sale.

Who knows? Maybe the temporary patch is actually sufficient. (We live on
our dreams here....)

'Course the prop and strut could need work, and the engine and trans
might have been stressed in that hard a grounding, but that sounds like
a big old tough boat that was made even tougher less than 20 years ago,
making it a youngster in the fiberglass age.

Wood Boats? What a bizarre concept. Why wood, isnt fibreglas enough work?