Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Clothing for cold weather sailing

wrote in message
L D'Bonnie wrote:
I don't mind spending money on products that are worth their value.
Is a jacket like the $200 one adequate for cold weather sailing or
is it worth considering the $800 price range?

It also depends on how much $800 is to you; which partially depends on
your income & partly on your personality.
I'm a cheapskate, I wouldn't buy an $800 jacket to sail in unless I
knew it had a couple of self-tailing winches and a new set of kevlar
sails in the pockets.

I would expect on a really cold day I would still need additional
layers of clothing with either jacket as well as suitable gloves,
boots and pants.

The best place to start with cold weather clothing is with a good set
of capilene longies. These aren't very expensive. I've got a set of
water shedding hunting trouser that were also inexpensive and can be
worn inside a pair of cargo pants. Put on foul-weather bibs over that
and you've got 4 layers that will keep your lower half (generally the
wetter & less active half) warm & mostly dry down towards freezing. Do
the same for your upper half and you can sail quite comfortably...
without restricting movement too much either.... for not much more
than that $200 jacket cost all by itself.

One thing that can be added for insurance is a set of wooly (or
microfleece) under-bibs that keep your core body temp up.

These are a bit on the pricey side, you could shop around
http://www.whitecapsfoulweathergear....t_id=c2agi1512

Sailing is the bottom line. What do I need to get out there and
sail in reasonable comfort while the rest are hiding indoors?

Anybody who actually wants to, will not be hiding indoors!

BTW another item that really *really* helps on cold days.... and as a
skipper, I was always acutely aware of how effective and as a
cheapskate, how COST-effective.... a nice steaming round of tea or
cocoa.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Tea is better than coffee... don't get so jittery and more people will use
it... unless you need to stay awake.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com