Ian Malcolm

Default Will epoxy bond formica?

Jim Conlin wrote:
I'm considering a formica galley counter and would like to do it as a
core-cell sandwich with glass on the underside. Can I epoxy bond formica or
do I need to introduce another material in between?

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

If you are talking about on the back side as a substitute for contact
cement Definitely yes. I have found it much more reliable. On the
front side or making joints no.

A friend fitted a freezer last year and glued the fomica directly on to
the foam insulated lid. By this spring, she had a nasty hole in the
formica where some fairly small kitchen utensil had fallen on it during
rough weather. IMHO you should bond two layers of glass cloth at a 45 deg
angle to each other if possible to the underneath of the formica between
it and the foam core for impact resistance.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot moulded
wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961