Brian D

Default Comprops?

If you want a composite prop that gives you a little insurance for when you
hit something, why not take a look at Piranha props. I've got a friend that
uses them and swears by them. If you damage a blade, you just spin off the
cap, slide the bad blade out and a new one on, then spin the cap back on.
About as easy as an in-boat prop repair will ever get. And extra set of
blades can be stored flat, in a Ziploc bag. Piranhas cost about the same as
a regular aluminum prop. Note that most composite props lose efficiency
because they tend to flex, and Piranhas are no different, although they are
very stiff and the lost efficiency seems to be academic. My buddy's boat
gets great mileage and pops up on plane in an instant. Note: NO affiliation
with any prop makers or sellers. My friend has been pretty happy with his
prop and with Piranha and talks about them all the time. See
http://www.piranha.com/ . They are very helpful in prop selection and will
even let you try different diameters and pitches until you're convinced the
prop works as you desire ...just send back the blades that you tried and
didn't want.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"sour (max camirand)" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:26:14 GMT, "Ken" wrote:

What is this groups opinions? I see they are relatively inexpensive in

cost,
are they cheap? If not recommended, where near Crystal River, Ocala, or
Tampa or even on the internet is a discount prop resource?

As far as I know about props, which isn't very far, the fewer blades
it has, the more efficient it is. That is, the perfect prop has 2
blades. More blades are usually used to get the same blade area to fit
into a smaller diameter for practical considerations. My free advice,
which is worth every penny, is to stick with a three-blade.

-m