[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default LED Interference

On Apr 1, 12:26 am, wrote:
Nowhere in that link is there anything that says I can't declare my lights to be
USCG compliant.

I'm not sure how constructive this is, but I'm trying to make the
distinction between USCG approved (which involves a lab test and a
submission to the CG and is done by OEMs or importers) and COLREGS
legal which means it meets rule 22. It is easy to install a USCG
approved light in a non COLREGS compliant way (I see it all the
time). Too, USCG approval is not a requirement under COLREGS as
such. As I said right from the start of this I don't know what the
implications for any given boater might be for carrying non USCG
approved lights. I suspect the most common problem might be
convincing a surveyor to pass an unstamped light. In any event, since
the OP was looking to change the bulb in his lamp I wanted him to be
aware that doing so will invalidate the USCG approval of the lamp. I
presume he is sailing on an uninspected vessel so it may well be
perfectly legal for him to go with LED bulbs but he might be unhappy
if his surveyor insists that he remove them in order to get
insurance.

--Tom.