[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default LED Interference

On Mar 30, 1:44 am, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:
Before I spend $60 to$80 to replace the masthead tri-color bulb with an LED
equivalent, I am wondering what the consensus is here about interference
between LEDs and VHFs (or other electronics). Are there certain LED lights
that are superior or worse in this respect? What in-use experience can
anyone relay?

It will always be at least a potential problem with PWM current
regulators. Shielding that works adequately in automotive lights may
well not be good enough for marine service. "Practical Sailor" has
received complaints as recently as this year. I'd suggest using a
portable AM radio to test your unit for RF before installing. If you
want to avoid the PIA of testing you could insist on lights that are
not PWM regulated. An acquaintance of mine runs a shop in Fiji that
makes LED lights. Obviously, he's an interested party but I think he
is very, very honest. Here is his description of the problem:
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/regulator.html.

-- Tom.