Michael Porter Michael Porter is offline

Default LED Interference

"Roger Long" wrote:

I've had no problems with my LED anchor light and have gone to all LED's
this season except for the bow light which is only on when the engine is
running and the spreader light because I want that to be really bright on
the sails. It's as much for increasing visability at night if someone
doesn't seem to see me or answer the radio as for deck light.

The problems seem to have been with the early crude LED's that were meant to
plug into the original bulb sockets. I would be very surprised if there
were problems with the units such as Aqua Signal and Hella that are designed
from the start as LED fixtures and have been through regulatory approval
processes.

Go for it and don't worry about burned out bulbs and power draw again.

BTW, no one seems to make a good, compact, bright, spreader light. I put on
one of an $11.00 pair of small auto fog lights with a small hole drilled in
the clear lense the first year when money was tight. I replace the rusting
casing every 2 - 3 years. I want to put something more permanent and
nautical on this year but I can't find anything I like better.

Don't know if they meet your "compact" requirement, but go to
Hamilton's and look at the Jabsco floodlights. I am using 2 as
"spreader" lights on Barbara and they give lots of light on the deck.

Cheers

Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com