Dan

Default Painting GRP yacht hull

"Jim Woodward" wrote in message
om...
Glenn has covered painting well -- 99% of the battle is prep. Let me
underline one point he made. The best (longest lived, best looking,
highest quality) paint is two part LPU -- it's what they paint
airplanes with -- imagine what 500 knots does to a paint job. But
it's deadly -- there is no respirator which will protect you -- you
need a full body suit with air supplied from outside the paint booth.

I'll ask the more fundamental question. Why do you think the boat
needs painting? Gelcoat will look tired after a few seasons of being
ignored, but a light compounding (auto body compound -- a very mild
abrasive -- on a buffer) and waxing can make it look almost like new.
We did Swee****er in 1995 -- she was then 13 years old and had spent
all of the last 8 years in the tropics -- and she looked very good
when done.

Or is it that we're two nations spearated by a common language ("GRP
yacht" suggests to me you're a British speaker as opposed to an
American speaker and the fact that you're asking about a springtime
activity right now, suggests you might be Kiwi or Ozzie)?

Is this a new boat? If so, pick a brand and follow the directions. If
it's a sailboat and you're not racing, you'll probably want one of the
ablative paints. The paint can go on with a roller -- much easier
than making a beautiful topsides. If you race, you'll want a hard
finish anti-fouling, wet sanded smoother than your wildest dreams. If
you're on this side of the Line, remember that many anti-fouling
paints have to go in the water soon after painting, so hold off til
next spring.

If it's a used boat, you either have to strip all the old anti-fouling
off, or determine what type it is, as there are compatibility issues
between systems. This is one area where an expert can help.

Remember that anti-fouling paint is expensive -- up to US$175 per
gallon here -- and, while you pretty much get what you pay for, asking
around will help you spend wisely. Specific recommendations from us
are impossible because local rules will also influence what you use.
Anti-fouling paint is a peculiar case of deliberately trying to poison
part of the environment -- barnacles, etc. -- while not hurting
anything else. Different jurisdictions balance this differently, so
that what works best for you may be illegal here.

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Thanks Jim,

The yacht is about 20 years old now. It hasn't been painted on the topsides
for what looks like 5 years. Thankfully I have the make and type of
antifouling written down somewhere at home. I will still strip it down
completely to be sure though.

I'm in New Zealand so this is the time of year to get it done, although I
may have left it a bit late.

I'll give the car polish a go this weekend and see what I can buff up on the
topsides, but it's had a good thrashing over the years (the last ownser was
a Team NZ crew member) and it could do with a fresh coat of paint.

Cheers
Dan