Brian D

Default Making polyester putty?

Yes, adding silica miraculously changes a droopy glop into a glop that stays
put. Doesn't require too much either. The amount you add doesn't affect
the ability to sand at all ...can't tell it's there when you are sanding.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:49:25 -0500, Donald Phillips
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

So Silica gives a different slime result from mballoons?

Serious. I have used various fillers (not silica, because of sanding).
They give "thick" but not thixotropic. How is silica different from a
simple filler? "International" epoxies are thixotropic. Run when you
touch them. Hang in globs until youm do. It's a gel.

Make up your own. I assume we're talking body filler, right? If it's
horizontal, I use mostly microballons or glass beads. It runs pretty
good and will self level fairly well. On vertical, add a good bit of
silica to the above until it doesn't drip off the stirring stick. Most
of us use epoxy instead of polyester. It works about the same which
ever you use. I don't measure filler. Use enough microballons to make
it thick and creamy. Add silica until doesn't drip off the stick.

Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are
not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")