posted to rec.boats.building
...erratic ...erratic is offline

Default Wooden Yacht restore and maintenance cost questions & adviceplease.

On 21 mar, 17:19, wrote:
Hi,

For what it's worth we (my Dad and us 2 bros) did that, with a 1934 6
metre intl. - really depends on your budget, we did it over 20 years.
The real boatbuildng/rebuilding of the hull was done by a yard - and
not all at once, bit by bit and the boat was sailable inbetween times.
What we learnt was;
- get the boat seen by an experienced surveyor, a wooden yacht that
has been in salt water all its life, the wood is "pickled" and is
either sound or soft - soft bits have to be replaced
- Don't go near a plywood boat - which I understood you weren't
thinking about from your previous posts
-Try and find a "classic" from a reputable yard, though as the
interest in them has grown this is getting more difficult, but not
impossible, you just might break even if you sell later
-Masts (wooden) rigging and sails are V expensive (for any type of
large yacht) and you have to be careful with modern materials... we
were pulling the hull apart until we devised an attachment in s/steel
to spread the load in a 60 yr old boat
-Can't comment about engines, we didn't have one
-Every winter, you have to sand down and re-varnish/paint - not to the
wood! but on a large yacht that makes for a lot of surface!...
-Sometimes in owning a wooden boat you need a very deep wallet!
All that said it's worth it! these old boats "sing" you can feel
they're happy sailing! and for the comments of people that see your
boat tied up, or being photographed on the water.
I know I'm not really replying to your question - no prices... it's
difficult over 20 yrs but I have in my head a figure of roughly 50'000
UKP over this period for hull work... Where we did all the preparation
work for the yard. (My Dad was always very secretive about how much he
was spending on the boat - my mother wouldn't have liked it!)
HTH

Anton