Glenn Ashmore

Default plug making

We really have not answered his question. FGIC has some basic info but
I have not found any real detail on the net. What I have learned about
making plugs (patterns in the parlance of other casting industries) came
from metal casting.

Building a plug for a hull is fairly simple. Get a copy of Gougeon on
Boatbuilding and build as described but use cheap materials like door
skins and Bondo. Plugs for decks nd interior frames are a different
matter. A mold must have some draft for the part to release with out
damage and all the different areas must have compatible draft. That
takes a considerable amount of geometric planning.

It also takes a lot more work to build interior plugs. Once you build
it you have to be able to spray it with a mold finish like Duratec, sand
to 220, wet sand to 600, polished, compounded and waxed. I just spent
the last two weeks just building male molds for head surrounds, shower
pans and gray water tanks in a similar way. I can't imagine building a
deck or interior plug on my own.

Old Nick wrote:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:48:59 -0400, "R. Smith/M.J. Johnson"
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

Your post is 4 days old, and has been addressed with the best of
intent by some of the long-standing and respected posters. Are you for
real?

Can anyone suggest a good source of technical info on plug making for boat
hulls and liners?
Thanks in advance,
M.J.Johnson

************************************************** ****************************************
Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are
not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )