posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default "dry dock" in the water???

On 2008-03-27 22:16:30 -0400, cavelamb himself said:

tomdownard wrote:
On Mar 24, 5:41 pm, wrote:

Since often (too often) boats develop problems with an outdrive
requiring the boat to be pulled, which is often quite the pain in the
ass, it seems there should be some way of putting an enclosure around
the outdrive which is big enough to hold a person, so it could be
pumped out and someone could get in to work on the drive. Does anyone
know of such?

In Alaska we have wooden cradles or beaches that we anchor up at in
high tide. Low tide, the boat is sitting on the hard. We put our boots
on and spread a tarp under where we are working. We have everything
ready. Parts etc. Cause we have 4 hours to get the job done. Then we
button it up, wait for high tide, pull the hooks, and sail away.

Cost to pull the boat....$0

What you need is a casement for a tidal driven dry-dock. Float in, let
the tide go out and close the doors.

Something like that?

Why make it so complicated and expensive?

Just hoist the darned thing, fix the problem, then splash.

Sheesh! Sounds like a bunch of Mensans around here!

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD