posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
tomdownard tomdownard is offline

Default "dry dock" in the water???

On Mar 24, 5:13 pm, L D'Bonnie wrote:
wrote:
Since often (too often) boats develop problems with
an outdrive requiring the boat to be pulled, which is
often quite the pain in the ass, it seems there should
be some way of putting an enclosure around the
outdrive which is big enough to hold a person, so
it could be pumped out and someone could get in
to work on the drive. Does anyone know of such?

There are displacement issues to deal with that would
probably negate the practicality of such an enclosure.

Why don't you invent a big air bladder. Slide it under
your bout and inflate. Properly designed you could lift
the stern out of the water all the way to lawyer heaven.

LdB

I am a marine engineer that worked on boats in Alaska for decades.
Have you ever worked on a boat, in the water?
Under it, outside it, while it can move?
Not for Girly men.

First, you need all the parts. Make sure you have them ALL.
And extra capscrews and bolts for the ones you drop.

Make sure you know what you have to do, step by step.
And have the proper tools, torque wrenches, etc with you.

I lay in bed the night before rehersing. When I get to the job, I have
done it
in my head 10 times.

A cool tool is the battery powered impact drill. It has an attachment
to do bolts.
In fact, use all battery powered stuff if you can.
No cords to fall in the water.