[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Injection Limiter adjustment

On Mar 24, 9:30 am, "Edgar" wrote:
Warming up a diesel for 10 minutes is unnecessarily long and does no good.
Give them a couple of minutes to make sure everything is working and then
leave the dock and get some load on.
Prolonged idling from cold causes a lot of wear.

Help me out, how does it cause wear? Sure, I don't know squat about
engines but it from book learning and a tiny bit of expericene:
Assuming that the oil is of a suitable weight it should work just fine
at idle. The manual requires racing the engine periodically if
running at low speeds for over 2 hours but requires not less than 5
minutes of warm up before _any_ load is applied. Letting the oil
splash about and passing it through the filter once or twice before
things get really hot seems like a good thing to me. The motor is a
bigish chunk of metal and gaskets and spings and such and heating it
up fast must cause stress. I've had the exhaust elbows off both
engines twice and there was no evidence of unusual coking. FWIW, I
generally push the idle speed up during the warm up and have some
alternator load so the motors aren't likely to be running way under
temp anyway.

-- Tom.