Bryan B

Default Foaming in diesel tank

Hi Glenn,

Thats what I have read also but the other two tanks are foamed in. The boat
was built by the Bruckamn yard of C&C, which was the custom yard. I thought
maybe there was a foam that was breathable and used for this application.

Confused in Ohio.

Bryan

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Now THAT is one thing I can definitely quote chapter and verse because
everything I have ever seen says DO NOT use foam around a metal tank.
Especially a stainless one. It will hold oxygen depleted stagnant water
against the metal and create ideal conditions for crevasse corrosion.

Stainless needs a constant supply of oxygen be it in air or desolved in
seawater to maintain the protective surface. Tanks should be mounted so
that air can get to all surfaces. A lot of small Neoprene pads is
better than having the tank rest on a large surface that impeeds
circulation.

While I do not agree with David Pascoe on some things he has a good
section on mounting metal tanks on his survey page.

Bryan B wrote:

I need to re-install a diesel tank. It was foamed in place and an then

tab
glassed to the top of the bulkhead and hull. No problem with the glass

work
but what foam should be used for the tank. The tank is 316 ss about 30
gallons.

Thanks,

Bryan

--