posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] classicyachtinterest@googlemail.com is offline

Default Wooden Yacht restore and maintenance cost questions & adviceplease.

Thanks Matt, guestimates are helpfull and I appreciate things can vary
more than expected. I'd looked into engine replacements and chatted at
a boat show, very simple investigation and yes, I'm aware engine beds
rarely match and diesel would be the preferred choice. The advice
around the surveyor is good as well, something to be mindfull of.
How to choose a reputable surveyor I suspect would spawn a whole new
thread and be based on word of mouth.

As for the secondary comment well, yes, I believe I am of the mindset
to like something thats got good character. I wouldn't have gutted a
100 year old house and started again if I felt any different. Wooden
Yachts need more caution owing to the possibilty of serious rot
compared to a house.

Tom, thanks for the comments. I think a ply based boat is something I
had decided upon avoiding but its good you echo the same comments
about double planking. I am curious to see the misfortune from a
double planked "leaky" boat if you had a link, I've read around on
people preparing for relaunch with three sets of pumps even when
believing their newly caulked boats to be good, only to find a
multitude of leaks.
In terms of maintenance cost I am of the mindset to fix it right and
then maintain it.

If anyone had any comments the original post, wild guestimates are
acceptable. Deck replacement is something quite possible for me to
encounter and something I am mindfull of attempting myself. Focusing
purely on cost for a moment has anyone sucessfully managed to lift a
teak deck and re-use, perhaps planing down the original teak and re-
fitting over a ply subdeck?
Any time estimates or yard based cost estimates would be good.

All and any comments around the original post gratefully accepted, any
time and cost estimates are good.