posted to rec.boats.building
Matt Colie[_3_] Matt Colie[_3_] is offline

Default Wooden Yacht restore and maintenance cost questions & adviceplease.

Dear Classic,
I hate to answer this way because it is hard to follow for others, but
here goes:

wrote:
o Can anyone provide a real life example of guestimate of man hours &
expense involved in totally stripping exterior paint, recaulking and
painting again. Of course I'm assuming no rot in this statement.

We call it a Wood and Caulk in the New England yards. Assuming no rot
(bad bet -better count on replacing a plank or 2) and only a few layers
of bad paint to deal with above the waterline, we would be bidding the
job based on two men for a full week. What a plank costs is highly
variable. Is it single or double plank? Does a whole plank need
replacing or just part? Does it have to be steamed or can it be sprung
into place? My bet is still ~8kEu

o Can anyone provide a real life example or guestimate of costs
involved in replacing a 20hp engine in such a case?

Are you going to replace with a new similar engine?
A new 20Hp marine engine and transmission is going to cost around 8kEu.
If it is not very similar to the original and can use the same engine
bed, it will only cost another 1~1.5k to remove and install.
If you are changing from gas(petrol) to diesel(oil) engine, add at least
another 1kEu and that is only if the new engine actually fits in the old
engine's space. This is not usually the case. Most cases the engine
bed and the enclosure require significant modification.

o Can anyone state roughly the expected costs of replacing rigging
were the cables to be considered suspect, 35 foot, assume a cutter,
sloop or gaff combinations.

There are too many variables to even start this. An upper or a head
stay for a 35ft Bermuda sloop is going to be in the region of 300Eu with
some variable for actual length and end fittings.

o Anyone recently purchased a set of sails for a 35 foot sloop, cutter
or gaff rig? (let be clear here, I'm not heading to a luxury sail
maker here, this is a cruising boat, I;m not looking to win races)

Just plain polyester (dacron) sails for that size boat will be around
3kEu each assuming a Bermuda sloop.

Do not even start to dream about any older vessel, wood hulled or not,
without a very complete survey by a very competent surveyor. If you are
talking to a broker and he recommends a surveyor, write the name down
carefully because now you know who to avoid.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Congenital Sailor