Brian Whatcott

Default Bow eye repair

Epoxy liberally between wood and glass skin. Sheath the wood member
with epoxy and glass cloth.
When set, drill oversize and apply an epoxy plug.
When set, drill on size, and set strong eye in place with marine
adhesive sealant. Don't forget the strong backing plate.
I used a thick aluminum alloy strip sawn from an extruded girder.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:18:15 -0500, "Mike"
wrote:

I have a 73 Starcraft fiberglass boat on which the bow eye was beginning to
pull through. Upon further inspection I found that the wood on the inside of
the hull had disintegrated. I removed the fiberglass covering where the wood
used to be and removed all the wood particles. There is no more wood in the
area.

I intended to repair it by making a new piece of wood approximately the same
dimensions as the old one then fiberglassing over it before attaching the
bow eye.

Do I need to put fiberglass resin, epoxy or sealant between the new wood and
the inside of the hull? Should I fiberglass over the new wood before
bolting the eye on or after? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Mike