Larry Larry is offline

Default How many DC amps is too much

Richard Kollmann wrote in news:f9707399-b61d-
:

One good piece of information Skip provided if I
understand him correctly is the Hondo 2000 powering a 40 amp DC output
charger can rum 6 hours on 1/2 gallon of gas. I have a 3000 watt
generator that consumes 6 gallons per hour.

On:
http://www.hayesequipment.com/eu2000i.htm

# Weight: 46.3 lbs. Dry
# tank size: 1.0 gallons
# Run time: 15.0/4.0 hrs. (1/4 load & Rated load)

15 hours on 1.1 gallons at 500 watts might be stretching reality a bit, but
it's not far off. I own EU1000i and EU3000is. The 1000 is uncanny. Its
carb looks like a model airplane carb, except for the float bowl of course.
The size is tiny! The venturi in it is really tiny....

40A at 14.2V = 568 watts plus some charger in efficiency so that would be
around 600 to 650 watts so Skip's observations are very close. The unit
will run in economode up to about 1100 watts before the engine starts to
throttle up for more magnets/second to supercharge the flywheel multiphase
alternator that drives the electronic power supply.

The EU3000is is a much better, longer running unit that only turns 1200 RPM
up to about 1800 watts, hardly breathes hard at a kilowatt, but it's NOT
TRANSPORTABLE by any stretch of the imagination. Its cabinetry is steel
with a 3.5 gallon steel tank on top, not plastic like the little ones.

Too bad someone doesn't make a nautical quiet cabinet to put the 3KW in
over the stern to reduce CO hazards. I run two 8000 Btu Korean A/C window
units off it all summer. 3 gallons with that load and my shop loads runs
about 2.5 eight hour workdays....making the truck bearable in the hot SC
sun.