[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default How many DC amps is too much

On Mar 21, 4:37 pm, Richard Kollmann
wrote:
It is interesting to know how other boaters are selecting equipment
and managing electrical power on cruising sailboats.

Yes it is interesting. One of the key subjects IMHO

..... the Hondo 2000 powering a 40 amp DC output
charger can rum 6 hours on 1/2 gallon of gas. I have a 3000 watt
generator that consumes 6 gallons per hour.

Your genset is doing something wrong then. We have a 3500 watt diesel
genset that burns about 0.6 gallons/hour when powering our 60 amp
charger plus a few incidental household services. Burning 6gph should
produce about 90 hp, far far more than it takes to pump out 3.5kw !

Fresh Breezes- Doug King