posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Alec Alec is offline

Default Amateur Radio - to get weather info, access mail etc?

I am based in the UK and often travel in the French inland waterways, the
English Channel and the Northern med.

For the sea areas I would recommend NAVTEX you will get weather reports in
English wherever you are. You may also with a modern set get some local
inland forecasts but they may be in the local language. Sets are not that
expensive circa $300. Most if not all Marinas publish a forecast on their
notice boards each morning these usually last 2 or 3 days ahead.

For the inland waters the local TV or Radio will be best but these are in
the local language. Do not forget the local papers. If you want English the
internet is best, use a cafe or get Wi Fi and hope for access. In the inland
areas we rarely need a forecast. You do need a forecast for the Seine
between Rouen and the sea and for some exposed parts of the Rhone if a
Mistral is due. Do not worry to much as the rest of the boating community
will have plenty of info.

If you become a Ham the local French, German and Dutch Hams can mostly speak
English and can probably give a local forecast but remember they may not be
sailors.

If you need weather charts and cannot get the internet then Fax is the way
to go, any reasonable receiver and a computer should suffice. Get a free
programme from the internet, use Bracknel from the UK or Offenbach from
Germany

Alec.

"Marc Heusser" d wrote in
message ...
I am an electrical engineer and could quite easily get a licence for
amateur radio.
Does it pay off if I'd do that to access weather charts etc on a boat -
this year in Europe, both on inland waterways in France and in the
eastern North sea (between Germany, Denmark and Sweden)?

Apart from a transceiver I have a Mac that should decode the signals
without any extra hardware with MultiMode
(http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/multimode.html).

Or are other options better?

TIA

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com