[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Injection Limiter adjustment

On Mar 20, 5:55 pm, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
First, yes, fiddling with the governor can cause the engine to
explode.

What? It doesn't mention anything like that in the manual (and the
manual does have many warnings in it). It suggests that I might get
black smoke if I overdo it and low torque if I underdo it. Expode?
Really?

I suggest that you first adjust the idle speed to about 900-1000 RPM
in neutral and check that the high speed RPM is 3600 RPM in neutral.

Yes. These are correct in the no-load condition.

... you may have clogged filters -
change them all and try again.

It is not a filter problem.

If this doesn't cure your problem then frankly (and not to make fun of
you) from your questions I would suggest that you would be advised to
get a proper mechanic to have a look at things.

No problem. I'm not proud, but I've done this to no avail. I've had
four mechanics go over it and none of them have been able to fix the
problem. The last time I hauled the boat I pulled the motor and sent
it to the dealer and they couldn't fix it. If you can recommend a
competent mechanic who will come down to my boat here in Hawaii,
great. The timing is good, the injectors are good, the fuel system is
good as far as the injector pump. I could pull the injector pump off
and take it to a shop for a rebuild, but that involves hauling the
boat as there's no way to do that without pulling the engine and no
space to do that without pulling the sail-drive and that causes the
boat to sink if you do it in the water... It is something I can work
around (I've been doing so for years), but it annoys me. Are you sure
I'm going to blow up the engine if I mess with the limiter? It's so
tempting and the manual certainly suggests that it is a reasonable
place to look for the problem, but blowing up is a bit too much down
side for me...

-- Tom.