posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default The Good Captain Report

Anchoring at Great Gull Island wouldn't be much fun. Surrounded by
lots of rocks, and not much in the way of protection. You would be
better off anchoring overnight in West Harbor on Fisher's Island, or
better yet, Coecles Harbor, which is very protected and has it's own
nature preserve to explore. Much more interesting and beautiful to
look at. You can always do a daysail and picnic to Great Gull if you
want to stop there briefly for old times sake. It's not far from
either West Harbor or Coecles, and could be a place to stop over
between those two, far more desirable anchorages.

The research station is still active and I'm friends with the
director, which is why I want to visit. I'll figure something out.
Docking is not an option as there's not enough water. I used to come
on a 40 foot trawler and even that was pretty dicey. There may be
better holding near little gull and I could dinghy over from there.
But I'm nervous enough about the currents and holding to not try it on
anything but a calm day.

The Good Captain
35s5
NY