William R. Watt

Default Yacht Design School/Amateurs?

Passing a test just means you pass the test. In particular it does not
mean you can design a good, or even a safe, boat. There are a large number
of graduates of all sorts of certification programs who do not have the
judgement and experince of people who did not take the test. Goodness I've
seen too many people with BA after their names who can't perform or
produce, or even cope. I have belonged to professional associations and
have been certifed and I know it may not mean much. What it says is at
some point in time you knew some specialized knowledge. Some of the actual
aims of certification associations I know of were basically
self-promotion, lobbying, networking, and marketing. I discontinued
membership in one after a short time.

I was arguing recently online with kayak paddlers who claimed you needed
formal instruction from a certified paddling instructor. They were quite
defensive about it.

I think the best protection for any consumer is is free and open
discussion like we have on the Usenet, which is why I like newsgroups and
avoid forums. I don't think people need to agree. Spirited discussion is
good. Even married couples don't *always* agree. Ever since Consumer's
Report started its annual automobie reliability survey better built Asian
cars and trucks have been taking market share away from other
manufacturers. Openess is good.

Often people who design and build boats for money are restricted in what
they can do. If you've put in the time and money to become certified you
serve the market. It the amateur who can try new things. I know
amateur dingy racers have introduced new things which eventually found
their way into the designs of larger boats carrying the names of certified
marine (naval?) architects. When I was racing dingys in a small way with a
local club one of the things I liked best about big race meets was walking
around looking at the neat things people added to their boats.

Long live the amateur desinger and boatbuilder.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm