Brian D

Default Yacht Design School/Amateurs?

This is true. Anyone ever see many laws repealed, or sales taxes reduced???

The real goal is safety. If more weight, among consumers and designers,
were given to voluntary compliance with things like the ABYC standards
(which already exist of course), then I would think there'd be less pressure
by the gov't to push through mandatory regulations for small craft.

People should make obvious statements on their plans (and in advertising and
on web sites etc) that say something like "Compliant with v.XXXX of the ABYC
Standards & Technical Guidelines for Small Craft" or some such thing.
Hopefully consumers/customers would start to see that showing up and would
develop a preference for boats that meet the guidelines. Designers are the
only ones who can start things in this direction ...don't know if this would
keep the dogs off our backs or not but it can't hurt.

Brian

"Ron Thornton" wrote in message
There is no such thing as "some regulation". Government will always use
some regulation to justify more. Those that think there is a need for
this better take a long hard look at what has happened in the US in our
lifetimes.

Ron