William R. Watt

Default Opinion Sought - Plywood Hulls

steveb ) writes:

What I need to know, before embarking on an expensive and time-consuming
build project, is some good advice on the relative strength and longevity
of epoxy and cloth covered plywood hulls.

The boat I am considering is the Benford Sailing Dory (36')

My instincts suggest that this material is perfectly adequate for a Blue
water cruiser (Junk rigged), but my instincts, I find, are all the better
for listening to good advice

plywood is fine for blue water cruising. plenty of them have been built.
you have to cover the outside underwater with resin to keep the worms out.
you also have to be sure all the end grain is sealed so it doesn't soak up
water. plywood boats go together fast because they are made of big pieces.
plywood comes pre-sanded.

there are different kinds of plywood with different weights, bending
characteristics, rot resistence, and so on.

I'm not so sure a 36" dory is the best shape for a sailboat. I haven't
seen the design.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm