P.C. Ford

Default Opinion Sought - Plywood Hulls

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:25:37 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

I wouldn't have expected such a comment from Mr Garden..

Why? Boat designers have their adherents and detractors like most
anyone else in the public eye. Benford's designs, in my humble
opinion, often have a clumsy "pirate ship" look.

He was a promoter of ferrocement in the 70's.

I knew a small boat designed by Benford which had its sail plan so
badly calculated that it would not come about. (!!) A Benford pinky
schooner named the "Sunrise" was built around here (Seattle) about
twenty five years ago. Wonderful job of building; dubious design. The
builder was an old timer. He had many stories about the level of the
designing. One that I can recall is that the galley range had one foot
of clearance under a cabin structural member.

But you can't argue about taste.