Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Portable walking foot sewing machine comparison.

I started off with a Singer CG550 "commercial grade" zigzag machine for
about the same $200 because the Admiral wouldn't let me near her machine.
It is a horse of a machine for the price. Sews zipper plaques and piping
very easily and will punch through 4 or 5 layers of Sunbrella but it is not
walking foot. With only the lower dogs pulling you have to help feed
several layers by pulling from the back side which results in irregular
stitches. Very obvious with zigzags and on straight stitches causes puckers
in the seams. I have managed to finish 3 cockpit cushions that are
acceptable but I now that I am getting half way good I am looking for
something better.

Quite honestly though the best part was the look on my wife's and
sister-in-law's faces when they saw the first boxed cockpit cushion with
piping and all tight with square edges. They think they are masters of the
sewing machine and this klutzy male could never make a straight stitch. I
can out cook them too! :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Capt. JG" wrote
I had the same idea, but couldn't find anything used that seemed worth
buying. I ended up going to a sewing machine store, and I bought a Janome,
Sewist 521. I watched the salesperson sew five really think pieces without
any problem. I paid under $200 for it, and it came with a nice warranty.
It may not be perfect, but it sure is useful. There was a short learning
curve, wherein I went through a couple of needles, mostly because I tried
to go too fast. I did some zippers on Sunbrella right the first time I
tried. Not sure if this helps any...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com