posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz Bob Crantz is offline

Default The Good Captain Report

wrote in message

Does either craft have that awful rack and pinion steering system
similar to what sank Joe's boat? Punching a hole in the hull is SOME
kind of "feedback" from a steering setup!

I don't need a hole in the boat as an excuse for it to sink. I've sunk boats
with perfectly good hulls! Boats larger than either the canoe or kayak. The
first sinking of a perfectly good boat happened during a Chinook wind storm
with gusts to a mere 90 mph. The second was during a small F1 tornado. I
purposely went out to sail in those conditions to gain first hand
experience. Now, from my great experience, I avoid those kind of conditions.
I have developed a rule of thumb which I shall now divulge to the benefit of
all: "If the wind blows tractor trailers off of the highway, don't sail in
it." I have many rules of thumb carefully developed from first hand
experience. They range in such fields as electricity, winter mountaineering,
firearms and gasoline powered tools. Humanity would be served well if I were
to write detailing my experiences.

Glory!

Bob Crantz

Rule of thumb #217: If you really have to force the bolt action of a rifle
closed to get the cartridge in, it may not be a good idea to pull the
trigger.

Rule of thumb #104: If you hook a bunch of neon sign transformers in series
to maximize the output voltage, wear very thick insulated gloves when
plugging it in.

Rule of thumb # 63: Do not substitute a scuba diving mask for goggles when
getting towed on a sled behind a car at 65 mph.