Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Stainless steel running gear

On 8 Oct 2003 13:05:57 -0700, (kim) wrote:

Can someone tell me the advantages/ disadvantages of stainless steel
running gear (prop, strut, shaft, and rudder). I remembered hearing
that it was a no-no, but I have nothing to prove either way.

A boat I test drove had this installed, and it does'nt make sense why
someone would dump all this money into the running gear if it provides
no additional structural, corrosion resistance, or performance
enhancements.

My boat has a SS prop shaft. It is fine after 22 years.The rudder has
SS journals for plain bearings of FG. The bearings have worn a little
loose but the journals are fine.

What you heard may have been about stainless in close contact with
something else.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again