Backyard Renegade

Default Yacht Design School/Amateurs?

"D MacPherson" wrote in message . ..

Let me offer some thoughts based on my requirements as an instructor of an
Intro to Naval Architecture class I teach that the Univ of New Hampshire. I
have a semester to introduce the subject to mechanical engineering seniors
(it is a technical elective class). I use "Naval Architecture for Non-Naval
Architects" as a text (published by SNAME), along with information gleaned
from other naval architects and writers (much of which you can find in trade
magazines such as Professional Boatbuilder). (In particular, look for Dudley
Dawson's article "Once Around the Design Spiral", from Professional
Boatbuilder Oct/Nov 1997.) For students who want to try developing lines, I
point them first to Greg Carlson's small freeware chine hull program. Its
not without its limitations and holes, but it is a pretty nice little tool -
with almost no learning curve. And they can punch out DXF files of shell
plates and bulkheads to build small models. By the time they are done, they
will have completed a small design project and write a tech paper on a naval
architecture subject of their choice. Certainly not a 4-year program in
naval architecture, but enough to get their feet wet.

Regards,

Don

Donald M. MacPherson
VP Technical Director
HydroComp, Inc.
http://www.hydrocompinc.com

Yes, that is a good program. I have been drawing out a personal skiff
(20 feet) for about a year now and used that program quite a bit along
the way. It did give me a pretty good feel for not only how my boat
would "work", but also gave me a lot of direction as to where I wanted
the hull design to go and what I was looking for. Using the
calculations available there I have designed the hull, and the
interior including placement of components and taking into account
crew, equipment and such. After a year, I am almost ready to start
cutting lumber, of course I did have one more thing to do. Last week I
sent it off to a SNAME/ABYC etc. professional designer who I am hiring
to make sure everything is right, and if not to redesign it to give me
the tool I need for my boating purposes.
Scotty