Jacques Mertens

Default Yacht Design School/Amateurs?

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...

Just curious. And I ask this in all seriousness, not to start a war.
What about guys like me? Small boat builder and amateur designer (very
amateur), do we have a place here, or would you exclude us from the
mix as organizations such as SNAME would, if I am reading their
"cannon" correctly?
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

There is a lot of creativity in amateur designers and I would hate to see it
killed by some regulations.
I don't say that one should belong to the SNAME, I am in favor of leaving
the profession or hobby wide open.
Since you build your own boats, you know your limits and whatever plan you
produce will be buildable and float right side up.
Once you start selling plans, you have a duty to your builders but there is
no need for an oversight or for regulations. Natural selection will work
quickly and that is the way it should be.